- January 15, 2015
This painting is a scene painted from the town square facing St. Francis Cathedral during a typical Santa Fe Festival. Swarms of tourist and vendors were everywhere and the streets were closed from auto traffic.
The Cathedral Basilica of Saint Francis , commonly known as Saint Francis Cathedral, is a Roman Catholic cathedral near the town square in Santa Fe. It is the mother church of the Archdiocese of Santa Fe. The cathedral was built by Archbishop Jean Baptiste Lamy between 1869 and 1886. An older church on the same site, built in 1626, was destroyed in the 1680 Pueblo Revolt.. A small chapel on the north side of the cathedral was kept from the old church. The large rose window in front and those of the Twelve Apostles in the lateral nave windows were imported from France. The towers were planned to be topped with 160′ tall steeples, but these were never built.
This original was given as a gift during the SWS Christmas Party 2013